Wednesday 5 March 2014

IELTS series-7: What or Which?

IELTS series-7:    WHAT and WHICH?

“WHAT DO YOU WANT?” She asked me in the overcrowded mall. We came here to select a cotton shirt for me. Hundreds of shirts just opposite to us inside the shop!
 I knew well that I could not choose any one on my own because she was ready with her choice from among the 20 shirts  hanging colorfully in front of us. If I chose anyone, surely it was going to be rejected at the first instance. So, I kept mum.
“Don’t you know what your taste is?” she continued with her AK47.
At last, she came with two-one with long stripes and another with plain light blue color.
“WHICH...ONE  DO YOU LIKE?” Again the same nagging question! Please, go through the second paragraph above. I need not repeat the same words.
Then, in a low voice I told “The blue one.”
“NOoo...it won’t suit you. You take the stripes.” Like any wife, her preference was just the opposite. But, here I know, she wants me to look younger.

Points to IELTsians:

You can use “WHAT” when there are many choices before you.
 For example, there are hundreds of shirts when my better half asked me “What do you want to choose?”
You can use “which” when there are only a few options in front of you.
There are only three flowers. Then, “Which one do you prefer?” is the correct usage.


No comments:

Post a Comment