Wednesday 13 November 2013

IELTS series-5: Difference between 'its' and it's

It is all about “Its and It’s”

 I asked my son “How is it?”  I looked at him very eagerly; even though, I knew well that he would never give me a pass mark in this test. It is all about my cooking.
He quietly replied “Do you want my reply seriously...Okay....as usual it’s bland.” My excitement melted down. This is a regular ritual  between us at least once in a day. Do you know what the ingredients of my chutney are? (It’s a mix of Indian gooseberry, coconut, green chilies, ginger, pepper, coriander leaves, salt and a lot other good things.) Its taste may not be fine to him.
Yesterday I prepared our breakfast.
I followed the same ritual. His retort came fast “It’s unbearable
Puppy, our pet dog, came to my rescue wagging its tail. I gave it to her. It took away the food to its place very happily. I threw a look of pride at my son, but his eyes were brimming with a pity and he muttered “Poor Puppy...”
Let us go into “IT”
Have you noticed these sentences: 1. it’s bland; it’s a mix; it’s unbearable?
                   Here    ‘It with apostrophe‘s’ means ‘IT is’
                        It is bland. It is a mix, it is unbearable.
  Now have a look at these :        2. Its taste may not be fine; its tail, its 
                                              Place...
              On the other hand,  ‘it’ without apostrophe‘s’ means possession like his book, his place...its tail stands for -the dog’s tail and 
                                ‘its place’ indicates -the dog’s place.
 Is it okay about 'its' and  "it’s"? 
Also I hope that this explanation is not at all so bland like my curry.


No comments:

Post a Comment