Monday 21 October 2013

AT or IN which to use? IELTS SERIES-1

AT or IN? Beware IELTSians

It was invariably the same answer from everybody. Now you may wonder what the question is.
It is about using IN and AT with some oft-used words.
Dr.Rakesh shared one of his research experiences with me.
He asked a school girl, a college student and a research scholar the same question as a part of his research.
“Where were you?” is Dr. Rakesh’s question to all.
The answers were: “I was in the school”, “hmmm...I was in the college” and “I was in the University” (Though, in reality they might have bunked the classes...)
Dr.Rakesh, further, went on. He asked the same to his grandson in England. His answer was “I was at the college”
I was very much interested in knowing which is right.
He told me that we have to use ‘AT’ with ‘SCHOOL, COLLEGE, UNIVERSITY and HOME’.
Correct usage: “I am at school” “He is at college doing lab-work”  “They are at university attending a seminar ”
“Now, I am at home listening to you. Am I Correct?”  I, like an expecting child, looked at him with a grin.
Yes.... You are.” Replied  Rakesh encouragingly.


No comments:

Post a Comment